Wednesday, October 20, 2010

More about my Gran

Hey all!

Sorry for the late post. I'm still running around like a mad person trying to do everything that everybody suddenly expects of me. :-/ Anyway...

Welcome and thank you to all of the new followers. I hope you all enjoy the blog.

Finally, I have won two more awards, which I will get to as soon as possible as well as the one that I have not forgotten, but have been unable to get to. Thanks so much for my awards. They really brighten up my day.

Oh wait. Really finally. Sorry for my silence recently on your blogs, but I haven't been able to read as many of them as I would like to.

With that said, one to the new post.

I've gotten many requests to tell you more about my Gran, so I'm left wondering where I would begin.

Hmm...

She was born at the start of WWII, and still remembers how her mother cried on VE day.

For a large part, she's the one that triggered my love for our history, with stories of the Boer War and the Great Trek.

She's the one that taught me how to bake cookies. And paint beautifully.

She's the one that would always see the absolute best in everything I do. Makes her a pathetic critic, but a genius at encouragement.

She's the one that pointed me to writing.

I love her so very much. She's a great lady. She's one of the people I know who has the most faith in God. In a way, she was pretty involved in me meeting Him when I was young.

I say "in a way" because the Holy Spirit tends to be pretty directly involved in these things.

What else can I say?

Almost forty years ago, school teacher asked her to write a book for her first grade class. That book was published and translated to English (she wrote in Afrikaans). She's been writing ever since.

She knows some of our most famous authors personally and sometimes publishes with them in anthologies. But every time she points out how nice one is, I tend to be surprised, since she never name drops. In fact, few people know that she is an author, simply because she just doesn't tell them.

She's cursed with my inability to be understood by others, although she is much more resigned to it than I am. Maybe it came with age. Or maybe because she is much more patient than I am.

I'm hoping she makes it to the birth of my children one day. She was such a great part in my life that I fear that her absence would really be sad.

So that's bits of her. She's actually a lot more, but for some reason, I struggle to find the words. Maybe because she is so much more to me than my words can describe.

17 comments:

  1. I understand being unable to describe your Grandma, I feel the same. My Grandparents and Mom are such amazing people and have done so much for me that I just can't even describe them...I wouldn't know where to start!

    I loved learning more about your Grandma, she sounds like an awesome lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandmum sound great the sort of woman that takes the fear out of old age

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa, that's exactly what I mean. It's a good thing I wasn't asked about my mother too. Then I would really have lost words. ;-)

    Kerrie that is really a perfect way to describe her. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your gran with us, Misha. I think you should get her to do a guest post here. As long as it’s in English of course.
    The enigmatic, masked blogger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Misha,
    Your gran seems like a wonderful lady. Indeed an inspiration to you in life and your ongoing writing pursuits.
    Happy writing and all the very best.
    With respect and kindness, Gary :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very open and honest post, Misha. A wonderful tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She sounds like such a beautiful person! I'm glad to have read more about her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post made me tear up...My Nanny is 88. She's from England so of course was around during WWII. She made parachutes during the war and married my Grandad. She knows and loves my 14 year old...Great Grandparents are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blogger that's a great idea. I'll see if I can get her to write anything for the blog.

    Yes she is, Gary. Thanks for commenting. :-)

    Thank you so much Nevets. I was hoping that I might at least fo her some justice.

    She is a lovely person, Shelley.

    I totally agree with you Sharon. I am very fortunate to have great grandparents. I actually had two great-grandparents too, but one of them passed away recently. The other one is I think 97 years old. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. She sounds like such an incredible, strong, kind woman. I've got a grandmother who inspires me, too, and I know how powerful that can be. So neat to learn more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really interesting to learn more about your grandmother who sounds like such a wonderful woman. I too have been inspired and encouraged by my grandmother. She really supported my writing. She actually died last year and I'm really sad that she won't be able to see me get published or have kids or any of that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandmother sounds like such an amazing person! Nice post, Misha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You gran sounds like an incredible woman. How lucky you are to have her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's beautiful to have someone so close who believes in you, and who you look up to. You're a blessed granddaughter, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow--my grandparents were born at the end of the 1800's and your Gran is younger than my mother. In fact, your Gran is apparently only about 10 years older than me, which means I'm almost old enough to be your grandfather. My gosh, where does the time go.

    You are fortunate to have a grandmother who is a writer and can provide you with such encouragement.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  17. So true Meridith, my gran and I share a very strong bond.

    Quinn I am sorry to hear that. But I think that she'll see you get published and had children anyway. ;-)

    Thanks Golden!

    Thanks L.T. She is. :-)

    Oh yes I am. Sometimes I feel as if she is my one-person support structure. :-)

    Haha Lee that is a scary thought. Time really does motor whether we want to or not. But you know what they say: You're only as old as you feel. :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.