Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wish I could be more creative with my titles.

Really I do. I guess that is one of my greatest weaknesses when it comes to writing.

I'm sure that you have noticed that I refer to my Works in Progress as the Fantasy and the Western. Why? Because I haven't figured out titles for them.

I have most of my story lines down. I have my characters about as figured out as they'll let me. Both books are in a stage of rapid movement towards the climax (although far from it), but I have no idea what to call them.

It's a problem that has haunted me from my childhood. I write good stories (I hope), but thinking of a suitable title is always difficult. So usually I finish the story and pick a name related to some aspect of it. The thing is that my Fantasy novel has quite a few aspects, so picking one is going to be tricky. Still, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

At least today, it gave me something to start with. Brilliant eh?

On the topic of writing, I am much relieved to report that I have spent the past few hours writing my Fantasy. My head hurts like hell from the effort, but it's done and I'm happy. Why? Because I have thousands of ideas running in front of me. 

For once, those ideas involve events immediately after my last written sentences. So hopefully next time I won't have to wonder what I have to start with.

On a somewhat unrelated topic, I think it's time for me to let someone who doesn't know me read at least portions of my book. So... I'm searching for a crit partner. Now, I have never done this before, and I've heard many horror stories about mismatched personalities, so I'll have to wait and see. I will keep you posted...

Right, so enough about me. What about you? Have you ever had to do with a CP? How did it work out? Any advice for the rookie?

3 comments:

  1. If you want, I'll volunteer to be your CP. My experience includes essay marking and a deep love of fantasy novels. Oh, and I believe in constructive criticism, the kind that inspires you to do better, not chew your wrist off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound promising, but be warned that this book is somewhat of a beast...

    Will you have time to read all the drafts of my book, given that you're busy with your masters?

    If you're still interested, drop me a line :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check Facebook ;) yes, I could make time. Will be getting busier pretty soon, but I generally prefer fantasy novels, so will function as break from my work anyway

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love to read what you think.

Feel free to ignore the check-box saying "Prove you're not a robot." My word verification is off, but I moderate comments to posts older than two weeks.